WELCOME TO PUVUNGNA!
Puvungna is the Indian village which once occupied the land where Cal State Long Beach now stands. Puvungna remains sacred to the local Gabrielino Indians and other Indian people as a spiritual center from which their lawgiver and god --Chungichnish-- instructed his people. Unfortunately, this tradition of learning and teaching which began with the Indian elders has yet to be understood by campus officials. Plans to build a strip mall on the Puvungna site have been blocked by the Puvungna Sacred Site Struggle. As an anthropologist and CSULB faculty member, I was able to play a role in this important struggle, which has been one of the most rewarding and enriching experiences of my life.
Eugene E. Ruyle
Emeritus Professor of Anthropology
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACH
Contact Info, starting in August 2007
near Ashby BART in Oakland
Go to cuyleruyle.com - Ruyle's
political and personal web page
Congressional Campaign for Peace in 2008
Schedule] --- [Courses] ---[Grades]
[Current Research Projects] ---
[Selected Publications] ---
[Radical Web Sites]
[Peter Carr Peace Center] --- [Puvungna
Sacred Site Struggle] --- [About CSULB]
[The Human Adventure]
(Much of the above material is still in process of development)
Descriptions of Links:
- Here is my latest vita, with my training, research interests, publications,
and so forth.
- [Current Schedule]
- Here is my schedule for the Fall semester.
- Here is a list of the classes I teach, with their catalog descriptions.
- Here are the latrest grade sheets for my courses.
- [Current Research Projects]
- This takes you to the part of my vita where I discuss my current research
- [Selected Publications]
- This takes you to the part of my vita where I list my publications. Eventually,
I may make some of my publications available in electronic form.e
- [Radical Web Sites]
- This is a list of WWW sites that I think are particularly useful or noteworthy.
- [Peter Carr Peace Center]
- Here is a link to the Peter Carr Peace Center (still in development).
- [Puvungna Sacred Site Struggle]
- Here is a link to the Puvungna Sacred Site Struggle on the Cal State Long
- [About CSULB]
- This provides a link to the Cal State Long Beach Home Page.
- [The Human Adventure]
- This is my magnum opus. It was orginially written as a textbook for my course,
The Human Adventure (ANTH 311ic at CSULB), during the 1980s and completed
in 1991 As part of my process of updating it for the twentyfirst century,
I am making this earlier version (with some editing) avaialbe on the web in
the summer of 2003.It is available in both html and pdf format, but must be
downloaded one chapter at a time..
This document last updated: August 2002